Author: Shay West
Release Date: 28th August 2014
Publisher: Booktrope Editions
Find on: Goodreads
Quick Review: In this final book of the Adventures of Alexis Davenport Series, we find Alex dealing with more drama than ever: her first break-up, her mom's new boyfriend, and attempting to learn the secrets of her "gift" on her own. Desperate to stop Drifter, Alex uses her ability to locate the evil Traveler, only to discover that he lives in her time... And he knows who she is. In a final race against time, Alex must discover Drifter's ultimate plan, stop him, and save her family...all before prom.
Detailed Review: <<I received an ARC copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest feedback>>
The final book in a trilogy is usually the best.
I clearly didn't expect the magnificent wonder that was Desperate Reflections to really be as good as it was.
My apologies to the author for such low expectations when she definitely possesses awesome writing abilities.
Here is some praise to make up for it:
1. Major page-turner. I'll guarantee you that.
2. Straight-forward- it conveys just the right amount of action in the book and increases the pace of the story.
3. The ending! Evil villains always meet their end. *evil laugh* (I hope nobody thinks that's a spoiler) The good guys live to save the day!
4. New and awesome characters and some swoony romance that just makes you go 'Ooh la la!!!'
5. A kick-ass and smart heroine, definitely comparable to Tris or Katniss in the modern world. (I mean, she did stop time from being changed)
6. The time period, which was World War II (Hitler!!!) was perfect for a final standoff between Lane and Alex.
7. The song all readers are familiar with. The plot-twist song! Plot twist plot twist plot twist plot twist plot twist!!!
That should be more than enough to convince you to read the book.
And if it doesn't... Well, I guess it won't do much harm, but really, it would be really nice of you to actually pick up the book and read it, and be as entertained as I was.
The story is more than perfect. Once again, friendship takes priority in the book. Alex's friends are both supportive and loyal, always trying to help her to the best of their abilities, especially Jennifer. Family also plays an equal part in the book, as demonstrated through the strong bonds between the main character and her mother as well as her uncle.
You may think that time travel is a topic used commonly by too many authors, but West actually gives this topic a brand new feel to it that will definitely keep the pages turning, mixing it with real life problems, as stated in the synopsis. It's more than one person can actually take, but this particular heroine is certainly brave AND angry enough to take on the challenge!
Before you read Desperate Reflections, you should check out the first two books in the trilogy: Dangerous Reflections and Twisted Reflections.
You can check out my review for Dangerous Reflections HERE.
Click HERE for my review of Twisted Reflections!!'
Brief Review: This book definitely proved to be better than it's predecessors. I wasn't disappointed at all and it proved to be a great conclusion to an even greater series. The author doles out contemporary and fantasy elements in just the right amounts to get you hooked to the book! If you're looking for a time-travel read, this trilogy should be added to your list.
Final Rating: 5/5 'Totally Amazing!'
I believe this quote suits Alex perfectly,
To be a hero or a heroine, one must give an order to oneself---Simone Weil